I've made this before and really enjoy it with my dosa. My daughter will eat it too with sour cream on top! As long as she eats this healthy meal I don't mind. I don't have an exact recipe but will try to give it to you as close as I can.
- 3 potatoes already boiled and cubed
- 1 shallot or 1/2 onion (I have been using mostly shallots lately)
- 1 green chili or to taste (I used serrano chili because it is mild enough for my family)
- fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- pinch of hing (asafoetida) this is optional, but I really like to add this
-salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- green peas
- cilantro to top
In a "tiny skillet" or any pan that will hold all the potatoes...heat it up and add a little butter, you can use olive oil or both if you prefer. Add the mustard and cumin seeds until they sputter, I added all the seasoning and the cashews next, then the potatoes and mixed them up until the seasoning was all over everything. Add the peas and cook until they are warmed all the way through. Of course as always the seasoning is all adjustable to your taste!
See...it's so quick and easy. This is good as a side dish or enjoy it with any dosa or roti or any Indian breads and chutney that you like. The cashews added a nice crunch to it.